Sunday, October 25, 2009

Los Cruzeros, Henry W. Coe State Park

A deer says good morning

I found out that Northern California's biggest state park, the Henry W. Coe State Park, is only an hour away from me. I decided to check it out and test out my new boots with an overnight backpacking trip to Los Cruzeros. The hike in was easy, but the hike back was brutal. Going in, I took Corral Trail to Manzanita Point Road to China Hole Trail to the Narrows. The Narrows were pretty awesome because there wasn't really a trail. I just followed the creek climbing over rocks and crossing to the other side when I couldn't go further. Going back, I took Poverty Flat road Middle Ridge trail to Fish Trail and then Corral Trail. Poverty Road and Middle Ridge Trail had some crazy elevation gains that were really challenging, and I probably would not go back that way again with a backpack. Other than that, I had a really great time, and it was a good introduction to the park. I will definitely go back again.


My new Scarpa boots did really well. I walked over all kinds of leaves, gravel, and wet rocks without slipping. Through all the creek crossings they kept my feet completely dry. They were a little warm for the weather, and they are definitely a little bit heavy. I did get some blisters, but I'll blame it on my socks for now. Next time I'll wear real hiking socks, I promise.

Stats:
Cost: $13
Duration: Overnight
Length: 12.8 miles
Hiking Duration: 5 hours, 38 minutes, 14 seconds
Vertical up: 3307.1 ft
Vertical down: 3337 ft
Average Speed: 2.3 mph
Water: 2 liters

Los Cruzeros, Henry Coe State Park at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: Geotagging Community


Check out the Henry W. Coe park website for maps and info.

No comments:

Post a Comment